funsec mailing list archives

Re: write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:03:43 -0400

On 8/29/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:23:16 PDT, Blue Boar said:
> Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
> > Remember - it's the *exact* same thing, morally, as if you had been keeping
> > a virus sample that somebody else wrote, and you whoopsed and let it loose.
>
> I disagree that accidentally releasing an instance of a known virus
> sample is as bad as releasing an instance of an unknown virus sample
> that you crafted.

I very carefully didn't say if it was a known virus or not.

I'm sure that half the people on this list have, at one time or another,
been working with an as-yet-unknown virus.

I am sure the other half of this list would forward an as-yet-unknown
virus to the previously mentioned half that probably works for the
AV\AS\IPS industries. ;-)

I have done that on many occasions, meaning I spread unknown viruses
willfully.. I guess...

Good point V,..damn, that means I better turn myself in :-(

-JP