funsec mailing list archives

Re: write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:44:22 -0400

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:23:16 PDT, Blue Boar said:
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Remember - it's the *exact* same thing, morally, as if you had been keeping
a virus sample that somebody else wrote, and you whoopsed and let it loose.

I disagree that accidentally releasing an instance of a known virus
sample is as bad as releasing an instance of an unknown virus sample
that you crafted.

I very carefully didn't say if it was a known virus or not.

I'm sure that half the people on this list have, at one time or another,
been working with an as-yet-unknown virus.

Which is worse - accidentally releasing an unknown virus sample you crafted,
or one that somebody else crafted and you're working with?