funsec mailing list archives

Re: Caps off to ya'

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:35:21 +0100

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:22:23 +0100, David Harley <david.a.harley () gmail com> wrote:
Let's have a billion different keyboards, no two with the same layouit.
That'll fox the touch-typing snobs.
Aren't we all supposed to be using voice-recognition software by now?

You wouldn't believe how many phone calls we get at work from people who have accidently enabled voice recognition on their laptops and think that they've been infected by some virus "as it keeps on putting crap into my document."

Voice recognition is a nice concept but seems destined to failure:
1) They can't understand out of the normal accents and I'm not unglottising my t's or putting back my h's for no damn computer. 2) The old concept of culture jamming. Walk through an office shouting "Exit, exit, exit"

dave

PS I agree, death to caps lock, scroll lock and force the num lock key to always be on (does anybody ever use the number pad as cursors anymore)?