funsec mailing list archives

Re: infosec and human rights

From: Mark Carey-Smith <m.careysmith () student qut edu au>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:42:45 +1000 (EST)

---- Original message ----
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:11:33 GMT
From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>

...then you're probably not surprised that Reporters sans
Fronti�res reports this morning that Yahoo! is responsible
for yet a third jailing:

Yes, it would seem that a little cat and mouse game has been played very well by the Chinese authorities in letting
cyberdissidents think that anonymity existed with Yahoo! Hong Kong email accounts then nabbing them when the time was
right. Or maybe it just took them a while to figure it out.

- ferg

p.s. Aside: Personally, I think DRM is inherently evil.

There's certainly plenty of potential for evil to be performed with the technology. It's definitely worth highlighting
just how bad things could get.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark Carey-Smith
PhD Candidate
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology

The ideals which have lighted my way,
and time after time given me new courage
to face life cheerfully, have been
kindness, beauty, and truth. The trite
subjects of life - possessions, outward
success, luxury - have always seemed