funsec mailing list archives

Re: infosec and human rights

From: Mark Carey-Smith <m.careysmith () student qut edu au>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:54:50 +1000 (EST)

---- Original message ----
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:56:38 -0500
From: Technocrat <dj.technocrat.listmail () gmail com>

Just last night on public TV, I saw a great little write-up on just
this. The Chinese leader had dinner with Bill Gates last night...he is
current here hitting alot a host of huge compaines and then will meet
with the US leader later this week.

I wonder if that's available online or as a transcript...could you give me more information about who/how it was
broadcast? I'm not familiar with US public TV.

I would look into the "UltraReach Internet Corp".

Yep, I've been in correspondance with Bill. There are quite a few projects out there to get around the Great Firewall's
blacklists via 'private' proxies (proxies outside the Great Firewall that have been installed for the purposes of
circumvention like The Circumventor).

What concerns me is if the filtering effort currently focused on the China/backbone aggregation points spreads to the
desktop. If this is realised via DRM then it will make circumvention extremely difficult. Given that M$oft would
probably be very happy to get further in bed with the Chinse government and Mr Gates personal feeling about software
piracy  in China there could be major benefits for both parties for a strong, DRM enabled M$ OS in China.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark Carey-Smith
PhD Candidate
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology

The ideals which have lighted my way,
and time after time given me new courage
to face life cheerfully, have been
kindness, beauty, and truth. The trite
subjects of life - possessions, outward
success, luxury - have always seemed