funsec mailing list archives

Re: If I were King - was: University of South Carolina e-MailCompromisesStudentIDs

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:31:58 -0500

On 4/21/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

We tried that, with India. You wind up with India and Pakistan permanently at
each other's throats.

I'm not up on your country's dealing with India so I can't comment.

We tried it in Ireland, dividing the island into Eire and Northern
Ireland. You wind up with a region that contains some of each kind, and
they're at each other's throats.

I don't think you can honestly say that when England moved into
Ireland they had peaceful, noble ideas in mind, can you? The
comparison also doesn't work because Ireland is made up entirely of
the Irish - who got along just fine until a bunch of Englishman moved
in.

Did I miss something? Honestly, my history knowledge on Ireland is
several, several years old.

Maybe if it was tried in Iraq, it would work? But can we impose that in
Iraq now? Wouldn't the initiative for this have to come from the Iraqis,
who are showing no sign of wanting that.

As I said, we own that country right now. We took it over. Just
because we're being "nice" doesn't mean we can't start - any time -
putting the boot down on their heads and telling them how its going to
be.

On the other hand, it worked in North America, divided into USA for the
rebels and Canada for the loyalists. So maybe it would work in Iraq.

Maybe. Another reference for how it could work are those US
protectorates (which do okay, sorta/mostly).