funsec mailing list archives

Re: An OCR plug-in for Spamassassin

From: Axel Pettinger <api () worldonline de>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:48:16 +0200

Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Axel Pettinger to me:

I think I've seen such spam mails. The image in my stock spam mail
sample contains, apart from the text, many colored pixels.

The test is to find two spams with the same "image text", and you
will (almost certainly) find that the other components of the image
are different, as described...

Ok. I've searched for it, found several similar stock spam mails which
contained different colored pixels in the image, and then also one mail
which was sent from the same computer mentioned before. It was sent two
hours earlier. Almost everything was different but the image[1] ...

Either the different colored pixels are not used to change the hash of
the image or their creators change the image only from time to time or
from computer to computer.

Regards,
Axel Pettinger

[1] Image text begins with the following two lines:
"BUDGET WASTE INC (BDWT.PK)
WATCH BDWT LIKE A HAWK ON MONDAY 04/17/06"