funsec mailing list archives

Re: An OCR plug-in for Spamassassin

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:24:02 +1200

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

OCR it the first time, and then save the data.  When another JPG
shows up, just compute a hash of it, and if you've seen that hash before,
use the OCR from the first time.

That should work till the miscreants start pumping out differing tweaked images
for each spam... ;)

Ummmm -- no posted evidence to link to this time (I never bothered
because it was so common at the tiem, I assumed everyone vaguely
interested in spam would have noted it), but they've been doing this
for months and months and months...

I saw a suggestion somewhere it was the Kuvayev gang, but regardless of
who it was, but a lot of "penny stock" spam back in January (maybe back
into last December?) through into early February (from memory) was of
the form:

   <nonsense text block>
   <(relatively) unique "message text as image">
   <nonsense text block>

The middle bit was an image of text on a coloured background with three
randomized components.  The background contained light (so as to not
terribly degrade readbilility) noise (pixels close to, but not quite
the same as the background colour, and occasional black pixels), the
images had a random frame (ranging from a band a few pixels wide to
multi-line affairs) and the frame was degraded with (heavier) noise
(random black pixels across the frame and encroaching slightly into the
main image).

These were almost certainly produced by some image generator engine.

So, again, the spammers had the drop on your idea...

(It's obvious, really, given that one way to counter spam is the
"clearinghouse" idea, based on "checksums", and such an approach would
seem, in theory, more effective if the spammers moved to inline images
with the message entirely encased in the image.  Thus, we should not be
surprised that as some spammers seem to be moving more to image-only
spam, they'd be looking for ways to bust simple and obvious anti-image-
only-spam  approaches.)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald