funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Network Neutrality" or "Open Internet"

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:33:20 -0600

On 4/16/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:53:31 MDT, Dude VanWinkle said:

Maybe, but I am still confused. I cant buy a 2950 with 24 ports, then
turn around and sell 24x100 mbps pipes, cause the device only has an
internal capability of 800mbps. I could only sell 24x33 mbps pipes...
or can I?

You can certainly sell 24 100mb pipes.  Whether you can actually *deliver*
is a different matter....

You didn't *seriously* think that most cablemodem and DSL vendors actually
have enough infrastructure to support everybody using a full pipe at once, did you?

Well I knew that people who subscribe to comcast have a shared loop
that 15 or so people are on, vying for the 6 megs bandwidth. I also
know that DSL can have lots of interference and that can screw with
your speed as well, so the 1.5 meg they promise is rarely achieved.
Then I look at devices like this: http://tinyurl.com/o8y4t, and yeah,
I kinda thought that the ISP's didnt have bottlenecks internal to
their networks.

Hell - there's some 30K network drops on our 2 /16s, most of which are 100mbit.
And we've only got a 10Gbit uplink to Abeline/Lambdarail/etc and a 2xOC12 that
eventually lands in Sprint land.  I think we're *way* overcommitted. ;)

I got most of my networking experience at a college as well. I think
thats where I got the idea that if you plug a GigE connection into
your PC you will get 1Gbps (when talking to others who have the same
bandwidth) connection. I downloaded all 4 FC4 cd's in a minute or so
from inet2.edu. Guess I was just spoiled... still though if someone on
my part of the place was actually using all 100 mbps to their desktop
I would have definitely investigated it.

-JP

P.s.: Does anyone want to buy a GigE connection from me? Its upstream
connection is a 56k modem, but you can still brag to your friends
about your "fat pipe" ;-)