funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Network Neutrality" or "Open Internet"

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 03:56:40 -0400

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:53:31 MDT, Dude VanWinkle said:

Maybe, but I am still confused. I cant buy a 2950 with 24 ports, then
turn around and sell 24x100 mbps pipes, cause the device only has an
internal capability of 800mbps. I could only sell 24x33 mbps pipes...
or can I?

You can certainly sell 24 100mb pipes.  Whether you can actually *deliver*
is a different matter....

You didn't *seriously* think that most cablemodem and DSL vendors actually
have enough infrastructure to support everybody using a full pipe at once, did you?

Hell - there's some 30K network drops on our 2 /16s, most of which are 100mbit.
And we've only got a 10Gbit uplink to Abeline/Lambdarail/etc and a 2xOC12 that
eventually lands in Sprint land.  I think we're *way* overcommitted. ;)