funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Network Neutrality" or "Open Internet"

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:53:31 -0600

On 4/15/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
This is one of my stronger areas. :-)

In general terms, remember that electrical or optical signalling
is _clocked_ into 'the network'.
err, what?

Don't confuse this with packet communications, which -- for all
intents and purposes -- ride on tp of this, and is basically a
'ships in the night' service.
Still, well, so, err, umm.. SO basically I can recieve ~1,536,000 bits
per second, but they dont have to be useful buts (just the IP headers
with no data, a shit-ton of ARP requests, One big packet that says
"give us more money", 1.5 million bits worth of NACK's). I dont have
to get whole packets from google.com, just 1.5 mil bits per second.

 No wait, maybe I dont get it.

Given these two issues alaone, the concept of 'network inequity'
becomes one of (basically) 'Who's traffic gets degraded?' or more
appropriately, 'Who's traffic do I drop first (out of full router
queues) when my network gets congested?'
Well, if you degrade my traffic below what is on our SLA, then you owe
me money, right?

Does that make more sense?
Maybe, but I am still confused. I cant buy a 2950 with 24 ports, then
turn around and sell 24x100 mbps pipes, cause the device only has an
internal capability of 800mbps. I could only sell 24x33 mbps pipes...
or can I?

- ferg

ps. http://www.wiley.com/legacy/compbooks/catalog/24358-2.htm
Hmm, so does that mean you and Geoff published the book that enabled
these guys to limit our packets? Nice one Ferg, thanks a bunch
;-)

-JP

-- "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one,

If you buy a T1 from AT&T, arent they supposed to provide 1.5 mbps to
you? If google buys an OC48 or a few thousand Dedicated Lambdas, arent
they supposed to get the bandwidth as well?

Wouldnt adding/removing QoS to the packets violate the ToS? Are they
still getting the B/W they paid for?

Also, is the degradation of services happening on the Client side, the
Provider side, or both?

Easily Confused,

-JP

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net