funsec mailing list archives

Re: CastleCops Under Attack From... A Trademark Troll

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:49:55 +0200

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:26:03 +0200, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
I put a snippet and pointer to Alex's article on my blog, as well,
so that people can learn about these patenet and trademark "trolls"
and the danger they pose to the folks over at CastleCops and the
fine work they are doing.

Bah... Bollocks. The word Castle is an English word, coming from OE Castel originally from Latin Castellium, so it's been in this language since it's inception - so about 1600 years and can probably trace back further through its proto-Indo-European roots.

This is just as stupid as the Easy group trying to grab all the "easyfoo" company names in the UK (and failing with the last one).

There's prior stuff on this (a quick search on google will find many many companies with Castle in the name).

This tells me nothing more than the US trademark system needs a really, really good overhaul.

dave