funsec mailing list archives

Re: Things You Can't Say in Notepad

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:13:14 +0200

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:01:50 +0200, Mary Landesman <mlande () bellsouth net> wrote:
Interesting... It appears I can have new lambs, just not old ones. :-)

As noted below, 'Mary had new lambs' displays properly, i.e. as normal text. However, 'Mary had old lambs' results in Chinese characters.

Even wierder - if you use "Mary had nlw lambs" then it results in Chinese characters. This all seems to be due to Notepad's guessing of whether the document is UTF-16 or not, and as the characters around lower and upper case ASCII are usually the Chinese alphabet it comes out.

But both 0x7765 and 0x776c are valid characters, so I don't pretend to understand it.

It's still a bug, unless it's got the 0xff 0xfe header then it should assume it's UTF-8 or ASCII.

dave