funsec mailing list archives

RE: Database design.

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:25:43 -0400

"regular" consumer drives are certainly not reliable enough for something of this scope.   Drive array manufacturers
(not just us, I'm sure others as well) go through great lengths to ensure that the systems will withstand just about
anything with a guaranteed zero loss of data.

 At the risk of sounding like I'm praising the almighty EMC Symmetrix:  Heck, take a peek on www.emc.com, I'm sure
there is a page that explains our testing of the symmetrix systems (this is our flagship product).  They can withstand
like a 8.5 earthquake (and have in real life too), temps way down below freezing for weeks on end, temps way above
100deg F for weeks on end.  They really are built like tanks, down to the last component....
  I'm positive that NetApp, IBM, etc all put their storage systems through similar testing, although I don't think they
are all as thorough with their testing.

  There isn't a consumer IDE or SATA drive that will withstand that kind of torture and not skip a beat.  The drive
systems is certainly not the place to "penney-pinch" on a project as huge as the one the UK is going to undertake.

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580