funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: knife ban going to work?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 15:13:50 -0500

On 5/27/06, David Lodge <dave () cirt net> wrote:
Can I make a major point here. There was only a tightening of firearm
ownership in the late nineties. The law of firearm ownership was made in
the 1920s.

The tightening was specifically to move firearms away from private
citizens into properly secured areas (e.g. the local gun club) that had
better security on the storage (e.g. concrete floors, decent locks, metal
cabinets).

That's not much of a point - if they're not at home but locked up
somewhere then they're not the property of the citizen, just on loan
to them while at the club.

The aim of the tightening was to limit the unauthorised of legal firearms,
not to ban firearms per se.

No. The aim of the "tightening", as you put it, was so that the
government could be seen reacting to the "massacre" of...96?.. and
that is all. It was, essentially, a government power grab that was
justified, in the public's view, by the need to prevent future
massacres.

Most of the firearms used illegally are smuggled in from other countries
or repaired replicas.

IMPOSSIBLE!! Drsolly told me it was impossible to get firearms into
the UK which is why a comparison between your country's gun bans and
those of the cities in the States, like Chicago, NY and DC, are not
"real comparisons"!!