funsec mailing list archives

Re: turn in your knives!

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:07:38 -0700

Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:
   A pocket knife, stilleto, switchblade (flip
knife I think it's called in UK), I can see...

That, I never understood. I live in California. If you get any knife/sword/weapons catalogs in the States, you'll notice all the interesting stuff says "cannot ship to CA or MA" on the bottom. Anything that is assisted opening, concealed, or apparently designed to be easily concealed.

The law is designed to address concealability. But I can conceal my fixed-blade knives just fine, too. And I can promise that the "opening" time (and blade strength) of my fixed-blade knives is significantly better than a switchblade or butterfly knife. Plus, if I concealed the fixed-blade knife, I'd STILL get a concealed weapons charge if I got caught. So the special concealed weapons charge is pretty pointless.

My favorite example: One of the catalogs I get has fantasy-themed swords. As in, you can buy replicas of the Lord of the Rings weapons, D'rizzt's swords, Klingon swords, and so on. In the past there has been one sword... 3 or 4 foot long blade, sharpened I believe. That particular sword cannot be shipped to CA. Because if you press a button in the hilt, two little 2 or 3 inch spikes pop out near the hilt, under spring control.

Umm.. rant over. :)

                                                BB