funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Government Sets Target Date for Blocking Child Porn

From: "Jerry Hill" <malaclypse2 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:38:18 -0400

On 5/18/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
This should be highly entertaining because it's functionally
impossible. :-)

Via The Register.

[snip]

The government has given internet service providers until 2008 to block all access to websites containing illegal
images of child abuse listed by the Internet Watch Foundation.

Impossible?  Seems pretty easy to me. I don't know much about the
Internet Watch Foundation, and their public web page isn't very
specific, but I assume they would be responsible for providing ISPs a
list of either domain names or IP addresses to block access to.  The
ISPs then either block access to the IP addresses, or force the domain
names to resolve to a 'safe' address.

Obviously, neither of those is foolproof, since presumably both the
sites and the users would be conspiring to evade the filters, but ISPs
shouldn't have too much trouble fulfilling the letter of the proposed
law.

Or am I missing something again?

--
Jerry