funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Fwd: Verizon Won't Give Government 'Unfettered' Record Access

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:51:54 -0500

Oye, a journalist's blog... oh well, bound to happen.

If they are receiving secret information they should expect to be
investigated. This in no way means they're a part of the data
collection we've been discussing since that has always been portrayed
as wholesale...logging (for a lack of a better word) - NOT targeted
monitoring of specific people's phone usage.

If they are being investigated then monitoring of their phone calls
can be done legally, and easily.

Again, *I* don't like that it can be done "legally", but that's been
the case for as long as the drug war has been going on. And it really
pisses me off that they can ask for my "papers" at a "NARC Check" -
and arrest me if I refuse!