funsec mailing list archives

Re: Point of No Return? Microsoft Says Recovery from Malware Becoming Impo ssible

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:05:29 +0100 (BST)

From:                 "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date sent:            Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:14:14 GMT

Interesting.

Very interesting indeed.  Until a few years ago, I was highly incensed at those who
suggested you had to reformat and reinstall.  It was always, in my experience,
much easier to kill the beast and go on (with even the most fundamental level of
knowledge of malware).

(My first experience was a smallish post-secondary school that got some of their
machines infected with Stoned, and blew the whole network off, re-installing all
the software *and re-keying all the databases, including the library and all student
data, by hand.*)

I spoke to one "expert" who proudly told me he didn't need an antivirus,
he'd gotten rid of Stoned by simply using fdisk to delete the partition,
then remake the partition, reformat, reload ...

So I asked him "Did you use /mbr?"

"What?"

"Heh. You've just gotten rid of everything on that computer *except* the
virus."