funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Webroot Uncovers Thousands of Stolen Identities

From: Ken Dyke <kdyke () keycomputerconsultants com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:46:53 -0600

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 08:17:59PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu (Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu) wrote:
On Tue, 09 May 2006 23:37:44 -0000, Fergie said:
Personally, I think we *are* seeing it. Deluges of it.

Every day, week, month, etc, ad nasueum.
One of 3 possibilities:

IMHO the bottleneck is in converting a CC to goods.  A friend works for a
parcel service.  My friend discovers one or two transhippment points a
week.  That is, packages arrive then get re-addressed to foriegn
countries and sent back out.  From a box full of expensive sport shoes
to iPods.  The parcel service's concern in this is that the shipping is
paid for with stolen CC too.

In the rush to move packages it takes something a bit out of the
ordinary to get noticed.  So, to make this number of discovers
suggests a relatively high density.  Or the scammers do not care about
burning out their mules (unlikely).

Now if the FBI was not so busy chasing child pron, music pirates and
spying on peaceful protesters they could follow these shipments and nail
the folks responsible for very large $$$ theft.
--
Ken Dyke,
406.581.0495

I was using Free Open Source Software (FOSS) in 1969, but we did not call it
that at the time. We called it "software".
        -- Jon "Maddog" Hall