funsec mailing list archives

RE: Is The .WMF Exploit A ConsPiracy Gone Bad?

From: "Thomas Mannfred Carlsson" <thomas () carlsson fm>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:41:00 -0000

On 13 Jan 2006 at 19:40, Thomas Mannfred Carlsson wrote:

Can anyone here who has experimented with the
WMF vulnerability confirm or deny that portion of
the Gibson announcement (i.e. that the vulnerability
can only be triggered in Windows systems with Size
= 1)?

Just as a followup, a quick look at published WMF exploits to date
suggest that successful exploitation can use different sizes than 1
(e.g. 4 in Metasploit, 17 in Ilfak's tester).. so either Gibson has
stumbled on something new/different (i.e. maybe he uses a different
function number, and this is a whole new issue), or then it may
simply be a coding/interpretation error in his testbed (in which case
my heart goes out to the lad, I'm sure we all know what it's like to
discover something seemingly unprecedented and then force ourselves
to calmly and carefully recheck the data, processes etc before
drawing any significant conclusions).

Best Regards,

Thomas

--