funsec mailing list archives

RE: standards status in the industry - opinion?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:59:09 +1300

Stephen Villano to Drsolly (?):

Hmmmm, I know a boatload of users who format floppies every day.

And they use format.com for doing that, rather than being mouse-jockeys
in Explorer??  AFAIK there is no way to tell Explorer _from the
commandline used to invoke it_ that you want it to run and format a
drive without providing any user interaction.  That's why you would
want to protect "dumb users" from format.com (and by "dumb" I don't
mean "outright stupid" but "know less about what the nasties might be
able to do than I know" -- i.e. about 99.999999% of the planet).

Maybe we have to think the unthinkable, and aim for an OS that isn't
general-purpose.
Not general-purpose: Corporate for "Not for us, we need bang for the buck".
If you're uncertain as to the meaning of THAT, look up OS/2...

One would have hoped for a more, ahhh "informed" view from the
military, but at least you aren't in the part of the US military that
had an aircraft carrier dead in the water for several hours due to its
dependence on NT machines for some critical functions though, so maybe
there's some room for hope there...    8-)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald