funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:59:09 +1300

Drsolly to me:

Some would still argue (and have implemented their products thus) that
that level of detection is not always necessary, _even when you are
doing repair/disinfection_.  For parasitic malware it is understandable
that you should need as precise detection as possible, but with so much
of today's malware being either non-replicative (Trojan, adware,
spyware, "hacking tool", etc, etc) or monolithic replicators, where the
"repair" is "delete the file and its associated registry entries", some
have become fairly keen on "close enough is good enough" for their
detection capabilities (dressed up for marketing under fancy-sounding
names like "generic detection", "advanced heuristics" and so on...).

How will you know which (for example) register entries to delete unless
you hav an exact identification? Or which other files?

Don't ask me!

I didn't I agreed with this approach, just that it has gained something
of a following of late (perhaps as a result of too much laziness and
hubris among the developers??).

The nightmare scenario is, malware that resumbles something else, but when
you remove it as if it were that thing, that leaves behind a SOMETHING,
which notices the bungled removal, triggers and ...

Which leaves you with "OK, I had a malware, but my computer was working
fine until I ran your product, which TRASHED it!"

I absolutely agree!

Or here -- NZ has had such civil unions for about a year (??) now...

I expect the yanks will copy us soon.

Not in the current right-wing, ultra-conservative-swinging political
atmosphere.  Did you not notice that one of Bush's first suggestions as
prez was to draft a new ammendment to the constitution that would make
same-gender "marriage" unconstitutional?  With such a climate and such
a complete lack of intellectual grasp at the head of its government (I
mean, a constitutional ammendment to _limit_ personal freedoms in the
country that prides itself in its openness and whose raison d'etre is
the advancement of personal freedom?  From a president who supposedly
represents the "less government intervention in your personal affairs
is better goivernment" position?  Are we sure he is really off the
weed???), such a move as "liberalizing" US marriage/civil union laws in
such a way that might not be in full agreement with the extreme
Christian ultra-right will be a long way off indeed...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald