funsec mailing list archives

Re: standards status in the industry - opinion?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:10:40 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Blue Boar wrote:

Nick FitzGerald wrote:
So, you're saying that just because a bunch of morons designed
something utterly brokenly (from a security perspective) from the
outset _AND_ that much of the world "enjoys" the flexibility this
approach has allowed (or is just too damned ill-informed or otherwise
stupid to know any better), THAT informed security professionals (and
others) should not try to get such gross stupidity fixed?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try, just that you probably won't
succeed.  In my experience, you "can't" take away some feature people like.

The way you do that, is you sell them an additional feature, that consists
of a disabling of the insecure feature.

I believe you can simply string together whitelisted programs to do what
you like.  Things like tftp.exe and format.exe.

I really doubt if many users need either of those.

I wasn't even neccessarily talking about vulnerabilities per se.  I
don't consider enabling viruses to be a vulnerability, really.  Just a
side-effect of a general purpose OS.

Maybe we have to think the unthinkable, and aim for an OS that isn't
general-purpose.