funsec mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability-based IPS Patent

From: Roger Thompson <rog2002 () bellsouth net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:18:38 -0500

At 06:08 PM 3/29/2006 -0500, Richard M. Smith wrote:
Be interested to hear what you can dig up.  Virus Guard would have had to
ship before Sept. 29, 1991 to be considered prior art.  Had it shipped
between 9/29/1991 and 9/29/1992 things are more murky.  In addition, it's
functionality would have to match up with all the patent claims.

I believe our TSR shipped in 1988, and I think Solly's was about the same time, if not earlier. I'm certain we competed for the same prospect in Australia in 88-89, with similar functionality. It had absolutely been in our product for at least a year or two when I moved to the States in January 91.

I always thought Hilgeave (sp?) was without merit, although their idea probably preceded Symantec into the market place.

Roger