funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who needs terrorists? We can cause terror allbyourselves...

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:21:00 -0500

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:26:44 EST, Larry Seltzer said:
One doesn't need to have personally lost a loved on in the war to ask why
we're over there without a formal declaration of war.

I know you've asked this before. There was a congressional resolution
authorizing the use of force. It's the legal equivalent of a declaration of
war.

Exactly.  One president and 535 Congresscritters, all hiding behind weasel
words like "the legal equivalent of..".

They don't have the collective cojones to pass a declaration of war, and then
they're surprised at the lack of popular support for it.

FDR and the Congress were able to summon the cojones and pass an actual
declaration of war.  And the country rallied.  We only lost 2,390.

Several decades later, we get embroiled in Vietnam without a formal declaration
of war.  And the country fails to rally, and there are protests.

And now we lose 3,000+, and can't find the national resolve.  I wonder why.