funsec mailing list archives

Re: No Place Left to Hide on Tomorrow's Net?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:24:40 -0800

der Mouse wrote:
It's been a while, so I may have this wrong (and it may depend on which
DECnet Phase we're talking about), but as I recall, it was actually
that DECnet tried to reach a machine at a MAC address derived directly
from its DECnet address (the DECnet node number got a fixed set of bits
prepended to it).  I don't remember exact details, but it was something
like node 14:711 (binary 001110 1011000111, hex 3ac7 after regrouping)
being assumed to be at 0a:00:00:01:3a:c7, the 0a:00:00:01 part being
constant and part of the spec for that phase of DECnet.

Yes, this put them in a part of the MAC address space assigned to DEC,
but it didn't depend on having a DEC card, just on having one whose MAC
address could be set by software (these days that's all of them, but
back in the earlier days it wasn't).  Of course, it also required
software that knew how to set the MAC, but that was just part of having
a DECnet stack that could handle that interface.

The Wikipedia entry is decent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECnet
Look under "Phase IV".

"The Ethernet implementation was unusual in that the software changed the physical address of the Ethernet interface on the network to AA-00-04-00-xx-yy where xx-yy reflected the DECnet network address of the host. This allowed router-less LAN operation because the LAN address could be deduced from the DECnet address."

I disagree with the "router-less" bit.  Maybe ARP-equivalent-less.

BB
(Who did too much DECNet in the early 90s.)