funsec mailing list archives

Re: Borrow a neighbor's WiFi connection and go to jail?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:45:24 -0800

Rather than speculate on whether a given access type is legal, which I don't believe any of the responders so far are qualified to do (myself included), allow me to provide an example:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/06/beware-the-wardriving-menace/

I think in this case, there is some clear "deliberate" and "intent". However, it's kind of a bad precedent. Like I said, you're welcome to use my AP, but I have no way to communicate that to you. If you want to use any kind of "public" AP, such as Starbucks, and airport or hotel, you have to connect first, and try to access a web page before you can even find out what the terms of use are.

                                        BB