funsec mailing list archives

RE: Borrow a neighbor's WiFi connection and go to jail?

From: "Gary Funck" <gary () intrepid com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:47:12 -0800

Blue Boar wrote:
See... you're all welcome to come to the park near my house and use my
open WAP if you like.  So there's plenty of reasonable expectation that
one is welcome to use open APs that one finds.

It is too bad that these news articles,
http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=1&nid=37275
are so superficial.  Consider, how was the war driver
discovered?  If we have a user who is too clueless to
implement encryption or other safeguards, then how was
that individual cluefull enough to detect the interloper?
Or, what if the broadband owner implemented encryption,
and the war driver broke the code? Is that a higher level
of intrusion? And, unless there are some other extenuating
circumstances (such as identity theft, or intentional
destruction of property), it is difficult to see how
grabbing a piece of someone's open wireless connection is
more than a misdemeanor.  Must've been a slow day at the
Mounty's outpost.