funsec mailing list archives

RE: Borrow a neighbor's WiFi connection and go to jail?

From: "Gary Funck" <gary () intrepid com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:14:02 -0800

Coderman opined:
this doesn't matter; in most places totally open == no expectation of
privacy or access restriction.
[...]
grabbing open wireless == fine.
breaking into private wireless == crime.
breaking into private wireless and gathering info for secondary
offenses == many crimes.

Hmmm, consider the following: if I leave the front door to my house
unlocked and ajar, is that an open invitation for you to come
inside to get out of the rain?  Wouldn't you still be trespassing?

Do the laws really make a distinction between encrypted and
open wireless?  Or is that more of a practical distinction?