funsec mailing list archives

Re: Black Worm Report from Pune, India

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:54:55 -0500

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:29:37 GMT, "Alex Shipp (elist)" said:
We are getting 100s of emails infected with this W32.Nayem.E (or CME-24)
every hour hitting our various in boxes.
The count is just increasing every hour since last week.

For some reason India seems to be the biggest hit. I have no idea
why. Top 10 countries:

I wonder if it's related to the fact that in a linux chat room I sometimes
frequent, lots of people come in and need help installing Fedora or Ubuntu,
but Indian visitors are *heavily* skewed to "Redhat 9 won't run on my hardware",
and they are often resistant to the suggestion that they install FC4, or
CentOS 4, or RHEL 4, depending on their licensing and stability requirements...

Seriously - anybody know why they have the big Redhat9 fixation?