funsec mailing list archives

Re: Gadi Busted In Massive Conspiracy

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:45:53 +1300

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

You *do* realize that:

a) People won't call the support center until they notice that *.DOC just
went walkies...

b) They probably had the phone number in a file called SUPPORT.DOC

And hilarity ensues....

It took a few days for the likely real scale of CIH to seep through,
with very few reports _on the day itself_.  In that case we are talking
about a virus that rendered the victim PC totally useless -- bordering
on boat-anchor territory.  I suspect that reports of any effects of
this virus' damage will likely be delayed a similar amount (one to two
normal-working-week days -- so Monday or Tuesday), _AND_ such reports
will greatly "under-represent" the estimates of how many machines were
affected, as you'll probably only hear of a fraction of those that were
hit and for which no backups are available.  Likewise, machines where
although tons of files were trashed, "nothing valuable" was lost, will
likely go unreported too...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald