funsec mailing list archives

Re: Ameriprise Loses Data on 230, 000 Customers and Advisers

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:15:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, der Mouse wrote:

On the other hand, laptops often go walkies, and if 10% of your
desktops have unauthorized downloads of corporate data on them, it's
likely the laptop percentage is closer to 20% (after all, many laptop
users will do the extracts so they can work on the plane...)

There's a reason my laptop encrypts everything but the kernel and
bootblocks.  It won't even get as far as mounting / without the key,
and that key is stored nowhere but my memory.  And my live-backup of
the disk backs up the ciphertext view.

I dno't even have that much. My laptop is used as a terminal over an ssl
tunnel to my database.

Letter agencies and big corporations could probably break the crypto,
if they thought the data worth the resources.

Not on mine - there's no crypto to break.

I have lots of
lower-cost holes open to someone with that kind of resources, though,
and I don't think very many casual - or even reasonably-good-cracker -
laptop thieves will get very far.

I'd guess that all any thief wants is to sell the laptop down the pub for
a few notes. He'd also get my USB floppy drive and my bluetooth dongle,
and I'd have the annoyance of having to find another laptop with a 1600 by
1200 screen (most specs dn't tell you the screen resolution, and I seem to
be the only person it's important to, maybe I'm the only person who uses a
laptop purely as a multiple terminal?)