funsec mailing list archives

RE: guilty until proven innocent?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:47:19 +1300

Larry Seltzer wrote:

It's been a while since I looked at them, but I remember that there were
content filtering programs for the PC (Net Nanny and the like) that take
periodic screen shots. It's an expensive practice in terms of the storage of
course. And it is of value as compared to a simple list of URLs, since the
content of a web page can change over time.

Yep, and can also change depending on who you logged into the target
_site_ as...

How do you know who is actually using the computers at the time? There could
be some sort of sign-in system; it's a potential weakness of course. If
someone gets my login and then starts surfing porn, the records look bad for
me.

Yep.

But, screenshotting shows _what the user at the machine was seeing_,
whereas URL (or even content) logging at a proxy or other network edge
device only tells you what the machine with that IP was "traficking".
Do we really think your typical school computer is not compromised, at
least part of the time?  If I were in such a school _AND_ didn't know
about screenshotting activity loggers, I'd be looking to get proxies
setup on several machines in the labs then, when I wanted to surf to
bombs_r_us.com I'd do it via those proxies so it looked to the edge
devices like "the other machine" (and thus that machine's current user)
was surfing that site...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald