funsec mailing list archives

Adware with a rootkit - contextplus.net

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () iastate edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:08:20 -0600

One of our student computer cleaners used RootkitRevealer to find a rootkit with thousands of hidden files. I looked at the system and was surprised to find what looks like adware protected by a rootkit.

The relevant hidden registry entry mentions a website and the rootkit executables:

http://adchannel.contextplus.net/legal-note/nonbranded.html

which returns a little bit of nonsense. There is a cache directory with what looks like thousands of html files. An index file lists the URLs represented in the cache file. McAfee VirusScan was crippled by the rootkit. It was hidden from the OS.

I've attached the registry entry for your reading pleasure.

Are any of you familiar with contextplus.net? I haven't seen adware use rootkit techniques before. Is this the first?

 Administrative Contact:
      Apropos
      Business Owner
      26 Avenue Kleber
      Paris,  75116
      FR
      Phone: +44 7788 718 770
      Email: bizdev () peopleonpage com

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
Information Technology Services
IT Security and Policies
109 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu