funsec mailing list archives

RE: Nordea Sweden shuts Internet banking due to targetedphishing

From: "Peter Kruse" <kruse () krusesecurity dk>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:21:59 +0200

Hi there BB,

You cannot secure against MITM attacks, if the user is
willing to ignore any certificate warnings, or more likely,
don't notice the missing lock.

In particular are MITM attacks effective against netbanks using one-time
passwords. This gives the attacker a small window of opportunity to exploit
the login data submitted by a clueless user.

  Heck, you can spoof that, too.  Dan did a nice demo fo that
for me in a chapter he wrote in one of our books a few years back.

Nowadays the task is less than trivial. You can have self-signed
certificates installed in a second and request for free ones in a matter of
minutes.

The fun thing is, phishing makes the MITM attack trivial for
the attacker.

If you consider that scenario funny you're definitely on the right list ;-)

Regards
Peter Kruse