funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:47:29 -0500

--On Wednesday, October 12, 2005 21:57:54 -0600 Dude <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

We provided the option of patch management to the students and not many
refused the service.

We've discussed it (actually I've raised the issue repeatedly), but management doesn't want to go there.

Students want to keep their machines safe as well, most just dont know
how.

I'll agree with that!

Agent based stuff has worked really well for me. Patchlink has done a
bang up job in my previouls .edu domain. Havent been hit by any of the
werms. The agents do a client pull every 15 min from the server over
ssl. report if they fail x amount of times.

We haven't had any problems with worms in quite some time. Sheer luck I guess. ;-)

As far as scanning them goes, http://infosec.yorku.ca/tools/ has a
scanner that did 4 class B's in under 15 min, (ask J. Glass:) it doesnt
check for everything, but you might get it to at least scan for the SANS
top 20 in that time with some trial and error.

Thanks. I'll check that out. I haven't mentioned this in previous posts, but one of the problems that I've had with va scanners is boatloads of false positives. For example, GFI Languard works quite well *if* you have local admin on the box. (We don't.) If not, it's prone to false positives. When you have to chase down fps on hundreds of boxes, you very quickly find something else to do and the va scanner becomes a boat anchor.

Nessus has the same problem. Can't tell you about ISS because it's never worked well enough to determine if it generates fps (except for the one that we reported that they swore up and down didn't exist until they were able to replicate it.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member