funsec mailing list archives

RE: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:32:03 -0500

--On Wednesday, October 12, 2005 07:41:31 +0530 Aditya Deshmukh <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway strangled net> wrote:

True, no solution is perfect, but Paul - why won't you use your IDS/IPS
budget, and the time you spent configuring and installing it, in running

You know how much time I spent configuring Tippingpoint? The vendor installed it. Since then I've spent perhaps 60 minutes enabling or disabling various rules, maybe two or three hours looking at the pretty graphs and charts and one hour when we did an upgrade.

We've had it for a year.  Not all IPSes are time consuming.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member