funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:57:28 -0700

Aviram Jenik wrote:
See, this is what I don't get. I can understand the bored people (sorry Gadi) who want to log and monitor who attacks them and why. I _can't_ understand the busy people who are actually protecting their network, spending their time and money on silly IDS solutions.

So after you have had a successful intrusion, you really really wish that you had some logs to help tell you what happened. An IDS can provide some of those. Ideally, one closer to the original concept of NFR.

Or perhaps you work for a group that requires investigating all attempts, and it becomes a survival technique to reduce those as much as possible. ;)

                                        Ryan