funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:32:17 +0200

Drsolly wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Gadi Evron wrote:

Drsolly wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Gadi Evron wrote:

Why not? You got it via email spam, so did many others. Time is critical, and you can help.

Because if I send malware to someone, it's my responsibility to satisfy myself that doing so won't cause harm. I can't do that with an unvetted list. So, I can't send it to an unvetted list.

The Bad Guy will get it in a day anyway, or maybe even already has it.

Or maybe he won't.

On the other hand the Good Guys have a problem in defense because they didn't happen to get it via email yet.

Then they should get themselves onto a vetted distribution system. I can't see a problem here.

How is you making it available, or SOMEONE ELSE for that matter, a Bad Thing?

Because the Bad Guy who didn't get it anyway, now can get it.

Assume for a minute what I know to be true.. the Bad Guy HAS IT period.

How would that change your view?

There isn't only one Bad Guy

There are millions.

How many Good Guys are there? Thousands. And yet we can't get them what they need while the Bad Guys do.

This is a losing battle already, and instead of protecting information we should we waste time, effort and religion on what's everywhere.

Is this the US government saying there is NO AREA 51 (no matter what's really there) when faced with satellite images in court?

Wake up. There is no real reason to do that other than to make a statement, are you making a statement? What is it?

        Gadi.