funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hey old people

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:55:21 -0800

Larry Seltzer wrote:
I know I already threw in the towel on this one, but just to be complete I
actually got a question in through Microsoft's PR to Mark Zbikowski about
the whole "origins of EXE" thing, and his response is: "EXE files were
present in DOS 1.0.  At the time I had ported a linker we licensed to DOS
and I designed the format and implemented the loader for it. My involvement
in DOS 1.x was limited to working on the linker and the program loader.
LINK.EXE and EXE2BIN.EXE were present in DOS 1.0."

Nice! Thanks for the followup.

                                                BB