funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hey old people

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:39:10 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Blue Boar wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
My favourite is the one whereby an IBM PC tries to boot from a floppy disk
by loading and executing the boot sector, even if your normal bootup is
from the hard disk. That was introduced with the IBM XT, (1983, I think)
and first exploited in 1986.

:)

In the sense that the XT was the first model available for sale with a
HD, yes.  You could retrofit the 5150B with a HD, though.  That model
would have been 81 still, or maybe 82.  I don't know if you could have
bought a HD for it then.

The original PC Bios didn't have hard disk code, so you had to attach the
HD via a device driver. That meant that you couldn't boot from the hard
disk. I actually had one, it was a 10 mb monster from Xebec, costing
£1000. So, since booting from a floppy was the only way to start up the
computer, I wouldn't call it a vulnerability that there was no way to
change that.

But for a really old vulnerability you want the one whereby is you have an
EXE file, and put a COM file in the same directory, then the COM file gets
executed in preference to the EXE file when you type the filename without
extension. That existed in 1981, although it wasn't realised that it was a
vulnerability until the 1990s

I was going to point out .exes being introduced with DOS 2.0, but Larry
beat me to it.

I actually used DOs 1.1, I don't remember whether EXEs were available or
not. Are you sure they weren't? It would have meant a severe restriction
on the size of programs, and I don't recollect this.

That's the spirit though, Solly.  It doesn't say so on the page, but
we're thinking to qualify, the OS would have to me multi-user (or
multi-processing might be sufficient, depending...) and that there would
have to be a hardware-supported supervisor mode.  I don't think DOS
would qualify.

Dos 2.0 was multiprocessing.