funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:30:16 -0800

Nick FitzGerald wrote:
And that benefits who most?

Anyone who doesn't want to be dependent on someone else for their AV needs.

Look, I'll come out and say it.

The AV companies have an ivory tower attitude; they think they can decide who deserves to know something and who doesn't. If I don't have a "legitimate" need, if I won't agree to keep secrets, then I'm not deserving.

Those of us who have grown up in a world of full disclosure when dealing with vulnerabilities and exploits are never going to buy into that. That attitude carries over into the malware world. Malware IS different, but it's close enough that we are going to see it the same as any other "dangeous information."

I don't think you guys in your bucket are ever going to agree with us over here in our bucket.

I don't wish to discourage discussion, but I think there is a basic doctrinal difference that we aren't going to get past.

Yes, I have a basic attitude problem about being left out of the loop if I wish to play. It's a big part of the issue, so let me be open about that.

I've been in the "vetted" category before.  ...
Do you mind me asking where and when?

Was it in AV or some other security niche?

I used to work at SecurityFocus, which was at best quasi-AV. We published analysis reports, IDS signatures, instructions for manual detection & removal, etc... I was one of the guys who did a lot of the malware analysis. They are Symantec now, but this was prior to that.

I was provided samples by McAfee, Symantec, Kaspersky, Trend, and probably a few others I can't recall.

I have also been provided samples since I left, and no longer had even that tenuous grasp on officialdom. These are more recent and more on the sly, so that I don't care to name names. That is based on (I assume) part my reputation, and part the fact that the AV guys aren't always as stringent as they claim to be, when dealing in private. In those cases, the usual restriction I'm given is to share as I please, but to not name sources.

And of course now, via neighboring mailing lists, I have access to far more samples than I could possibly use, since I don't do this all day for a living now. If I enter into a non-sharing agreement, I honor it. Any lists that you and I share membership to Nick, I consider to be under a default no-share rule. On those, I ask permission. But if there are no strings attached, I'm generally liberal about resharing.

So, as a vetted guy I could get the samples, but it was with strings attached, or with delays. For example, if I emailed someone at an AV company, the response would be typically... stall... stall... ok, our sig file update is now released, sure you can have a sample!

                                                BB