funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: James Kehl <shykta () dione ids pl>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:32:57 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Gadi Evron wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
But would you entrust someone with samples, knowing that these will wind
up on a VX web site? I know a *lot* of people who would not.

The rule has always been, follow the rules of the guy who shares with you.

[/delurk]

As the success/survival of Val's project depends on getting new samples
and analysis, it will flop if the people with the samples don't like the
rules they're forced to provide them under. No samples means no blackhats
downloading samples, so Val isn't the only one in control. :)

On the other hand, I haven't noticed anyone saying that the current system
the good guys use is perfect, so the failure of the only proposed
alternative isn't really what anyone wants.

Could I possibly suggest that the people arguing for better blackhat
exclusion etc. actually just set up a site that they _would_ be happy to
see exist or provide samples to?

James