funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Get your computer viruses here!]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:24:23 -0600 (CST)

In short, I think Val should continue, and we all see what happens.

In other words, he will do it anyway and he may succeed or fail
miserably. I rather all th epeople who critisize him, help him instead to
reach a secure enough manner of doing this.

Whatever reasons are set against it, it is plain enough that there is
source code by gigabytes online with some Googling or a bit of collecting.

IRC channels of not hard core VX-ers but kiddies who would share any
sample with you, and even SUPPORT forums online for malwre writing.

Security researchers however, often have to beg.

Right or wrong, it's forced on us.

I'd rather look at this situation as there being anthrx everywhere, and
yet a select few universities and research institutions refuse to share
with researchers outside their box.

First let's face the music, save the net, and move back to old traditions
we all love.