funsec mailing list archives

Re: Rita and panic gas buying

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:23:26 +0100 (BST)

My parents live in a small lake community, and most of their stations
ran out of gas, and didn't get restocked for 3 or 4 days...but those
residents also panicked.  My father filled up his trucks, his boats, his
cars, and all the gas cans he had, because he feared a shortage.
Unfortunately, so did all his neighbors and they CAUSED a shortage.

A little common-sense and an understanding of the market economy would
go a long way.

That's right. People have to understand that when the media start telling
people not to panic buy, that all their neighbours will start to
panic-buy, and so they should get out quickly and do their panic-buying
before their neighbours clear the shops. It's the rational way to behave.

Another rational way to behave, is not to make your residence in places
that are prone to major natural diaster. If you do get surprised when
a place you thought was safe, turns out not to be, then any rational
persom who managed to escape the catastrophe, will not go back there for a
second game of hurricane roulette.

But, you're going to rebuild New Orleans, bigger and better. I have
trouble understanding why.