funsec mailing list archives

RE: Rita and panic gas buying

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:04:39 -0400

After our youngest daughter went away to college, my wife and I sold our
single family house last year and move closer into Boston to a condo.
Overall, our energy consumption has dropped dramatically.  We now pay about
$1,000 per year for heat vs. $4000. (2004 prices).   I now can walk to work
and we no longer need a second car.   I use a bus as a backup for bad
weather.  Our electric bills haven't changed that much since we still seem
to turn on the same number of lights, watch the same amount of TV, and use
computers for the same amount of time.

However, there was been one big jump in our energy costs which I never
anticipated.  As part of our condo fee, we are now paying about $150 per
month for electricity in the common areas.  Most of this money is going
towards running hallway and garage lighting 24/7.  This expense is one that
folks who live in single family houses don't have.  It's an example of
anti-economy of scale, I guess.

Things are looking more grim for gas supplies over the next week or two:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050922/bs_nm/rita_energy_dc

Richard