Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Absolute Sownage (A concise history of recent Sony hacks)

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:57:01 +0300

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:06:33AM -0600, Bruce Ediger wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Nowadays the big, noisy, obvious, "own the net" type "outbreak" of
yesteryear is not the model of choice for your typical cyber-thug (you
know, those running virtually all malware these days)..

In fact, _avoiding_ exactly that is pretty much top of their list of
desiderata.

How do we know this?

I mean, it seems kind of circular to say "We haven't seen another Code
Red II for a while, so the malware writers are doing other things."  Of
course they are off doing other things: we haven't seen another Code Red
II in years.

What other evidence exists?

Some evidence:

Conficker was long ago in the past 2008.

i heard script kiddie mentality changed so much they prefer to brag about XSS instead of pwning the interwebs :)

stuxnet didn't target the interwebs either - this might mean Valdis'
constant is more like 95.999%.

strongly suspect all the 404 for cgis in my httpd logs are requested by
hand :)

--
joro