Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Absolute Sownage (A concise history of recent Sony hacks)

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:02:59 +0000

Nowadays the big, noisy, obvious, "own the net" type "outbreak" of
yesteryear is not the model of choice for your typical cyber-thug (you
know, those running virtually all malware these days)..

In fact, _avoiding_ exactly that is pretty much top of their list of
desiderata.

How do we know this?

I mean, it seems kind of circular to say "We haven't seen another Code Red II
for a while, so the malware writers are doing other things."  Of course they
are off doing other things: we haven't seen another Code Red II in years.

What other evidence exists?

This is a business now - albeit illegal, but a well-established, organized, "professional" business.   The compromised
machine (or browser) is the commodity.  The longer one can extend the life of the commodity, the more useful and
profitable it is.  Probably the best source of evidence of this is the fact that there are currently millions of
compromised machines that could easily be exposed via a "Code Red III" event, but they are not - they are being used
for fraud instead.   You can only skin a sheep once, but you can fleece it over and over.

I'm sure Nick can come up with precise examples if he wants to.  He knows what he's talking about in this space.