Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted files and the 5th amendment

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 22:05:05 +0000

Actually, there is no way to tell if the there is another encrypted volume in existence or not.  One might stipulate
that there "could" be if the filesize is obvious, but when you get into gig size files that are storing small amounts
of data, that argument loses value.

You actually cannot even prove that it is encrypted data at all.  Filename ~021289a.dat could be encrypted data, but
there is no way to tell.   What is more important in these cases is that one cannot prove that another volume exists.
One can, however, prove that the password was given and the data was decrypted.    If I have a 1 meg file that mounts
to 200k, I don't have to prove anything about that.  I could have gotten the file from you, and you could have giving
me that password that allowed me access.

And this is where I think the danger of legal precedence comes in...  If this "sticks" and she is compelled to give up
her password, the data retrieved means nothing, yet you and I have more of our constitutional rights infringed upon.
To me, it is far more important to establish requirements for probably cause to exist on its own before using the
presence of encrypted data as a means by which one can legally compel an alleged party to provide said evidence.

@Christian, that is where I think the "solution" lies.  Otherwise, we will find ourselves in the same position as the
UK- if they can't prove you are guilty with the evidence required for prosecution, then they have a back-up law where
they can still put you in jail with no evidence at all if you don't give over your keys.   That is totally fuct IMO.
You can have a blob of binary data on your system, and if they claim it is encrypted data, and you don't give them the
key to decrypt it, you can go to jail even if it is not encrypted freaking data.